Shirly is my Surly Cross Check. I’ve had her for a 7 or 8 years and she’s been a great bike for me. She’s kind of a Jill of all trades, but she’s definitley a master of none as well.
- She’s sturdy. When bad stuff happens, she’s not going to break
- She can handle pretty heavy loads
- She can handle decently wide tires
- She’s just plain versitile.
- she’s heavy
- She has poor aerodynamics
- She’s not super comfortable. My back hurts on long rides.
- She doesn’t compete well with road bikes
- She doesn’t compete at all with mountain bikes
- She’s not equipped for gravel or snow
I want to turn her into a gravel, light bikepacking bike. Here’s what I’d like to do.
- New handlebars
- New Stem
- Drop the cross levers
- Dynamo hub
- Dynamo lights
- Mudflaps that actually deal well with mud (as opposed to the current fenders that jam up with mud)
- More water storage
- Food and clothing storage
- Wider tires with more grip
- Set up tires tubless
I have most of these worked out with gear on the way. Can I get everything together before the retreat? I think so. Can I get my fitness together to match the bike? We’ll see.
Will she be a good choice for the RockStar 270? “Best” is not really her thing. But she’ll probably be the bike I bring. Because that’s what she does, what’s needed.